Friday, November 18, 2011

Season of Thanks

 EJ's Thankful Hat...
 Handsome Pilgrim.
 Beautiful Emmi.. She is such a joy ... I am hoping I can put this next to their prom picture in 10 years. There are only 4 girls in a class of 9 boys so he better be nice!!!!
 Doing the turkey poem
So yesterday as a Mom I have to admit I was failing. I let the attitudes, and defiance get the best of me. All I wanted was for gymnastics to be over so I could come home, have a glass of wine and some soup (thank goodness for crock pot recipes bc I was too tired to cook!) . Then I realize I am in control of my kids and they cannot win! EJ has such a spirit about her that is persistent and her excitement for life sometimes overcomes her obedience. Yesterday we had our "turkey" parties at Hillander. The problem this year is both kids have parties at the same time.. so I am running back and forth and cannot devote my attention to either one. I just snap pictures in hope they remember I was there! At school they have these buckets that they get their "stick" put into if they misbehave... well I noticed we were in the yellow bucket again. For the same thing... "NOT LISTENING!" She is a wanderer.. she goes from room to room. She tells me all the time she wants to be in Mrs. Cremer's class with Wyatt.. so she just gets up and goes. After I went to Wyatt's party, I went back to get EJ.. she was gone. Not that it is particularly alarming.. but after about 5 minutes of looking (feels like 20!)  I was a little worried... again she was in someone else's room playing with their class and toys. So I drag the kids out to the car in all my frustration and relief and pretend not to be upset ... heck do you really want the other moms to see you loose your cool?!  Too much candy, too much excitement for one afternoon!
So last night I start to reflect.. after my glass of wine which I so enjoyed... I thought about what I am thankful for... and when I walked in I saw the turkey feather hat on EJ's head.. it was a "thankful hat." Each leaf represented something she was thankful for. The first thing I noticed was the middle feather.. "Aunt Sue." I asked Kelly when the hats were made and she said last week.... Last week, every night we prayed for our "Aunt Sue" (Not really our Aunt.. Emily's aunt but I have claimed her since I was 4)  Aunt Sue went heaven the same week Grandma did so it was a sad week. I am thankful EJ understands prayers, I am thankful it is not just something we do at night but something she remembers when asked "what are you thankful for." She probably does not remember the few times she met Aunt Sue.. but she remembers praying. I am SO thankful for that.
Wyatt even put on his thankful chart he was thankful for his sister. Hallelujah!  There is hope one day they will get along all day without fighting!

No comments: